Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Palms and Thumbs, Fighting

Turns out, I don't want a Palm Treo 680 after all.

I think.

We stopped at a Cingular store the other day because I wanted to try out a Treo 680 (and four other smartphones) because I've now read enough to know that ease of use is a big factor. (And I have less-than-dainty thumbs, which plays a role.) (Thinking about that last sentence I'm forced to ask: Can one have dainty thumbs? Or are thumbs by definition not dainty?)

Anyway, the only reason I'm not entirely ruling out the Treo 680 is because the store only had a dummy model, and I'm not sure the typing experience is the same on a dummy model. If it is, the 680 is 86ed.

Also tried the Samsung Blackjack (also a dummy model), the Nokia E62 and a Cingular 8525. Didn't like any of them.

The Blackberry 8700, however, is a bird of a different color. (Which works better than a horse of a different feather...)

If I was to get a smartphone/pda/geekthing, it'd be this one. Nice keyboard. Nice screen. Lower monthly cost than the others. But there is still a monthly cost and it's more than I can justify right now. When the business requires it, I'll take the plunge. But for now, Diane needs new Christmas gift ideas!

4 comments:

Sonnjea said...

I can't imagine why, but PIE leaps to mind....

Sonnjea said...

Mr. Fix-it has clumsy thumbs as well, and those teensy keyboards are a large part of what keeps him from getting a PDa/smartphone/whatever. We have a friend who has one he uses with a stylus, but that's just annoying as hell.

My hands are too cold to type! (Ironically, my thmbs are the only digist working right).

Anonymous said...

For awhile, the assistant managers had palm pilots but they all chucked them because first they lost the stylus then the tiny keyboards/big ugly thumbs were more than they could handle.

Steve said...

Have him check out this one. I could type on it almost as fast (and as bad) as I type on a keyboard. Punctuation symbols are in different places, so it'll take some learning to get speed, but at least I could do it.