Sunday, October 14, 2007

Tagged

Koji's Kitchen tagged me to come up with five things that make me eccentric. I'll do my best.

1) I'd rather fix things than buy them new. Not everything, of course (medical devices come to mind...) but often. I enjoy working on my 1974 BMW motorcycle as much as I enjoy riding it. There was an article in a BMW MOA magazine recently about a guy who had his dad's late-70s R100 restored. Shipped it to some guy and wrote big checks and 18 months later got the bike back. It's beautiful, sure, but he did nothing and learned nothing. There's nothing in that bike that's his.

2) I need a project. Something that needs doing or fixing, and preferably something that requires a chase. A chase for parts, for knowledge, doesn't really matter. Years ago I built a very nice Morris chair. Hand-crafted out of oak. Someone suggested I build more and sell them. Couldn't imagine anything less fun. Building one of something is creation. Two and more is production.

3) I don't read much. Which I guess is a problem, since I've been earning a living as a writer for more than 20 years. I read non-fiction mostly, how-to stuff often. I read magazines. The novels I pick up and stay with I usually in one or two sittings.

Guests have arrived, so three will have to do.

3 comments:

Sonnjea said...

See, I learned something - I did not know you don't read much.

And now MY guests have arrived, so no more commenting..

Next Stop Oregon said...

I also didn't know that you don't read much! I don't have guests, but I do have pizza dough to finish up!

Anonymous said...

I could offer a few of Steve's eccentricities. Like, he cuts his own hair in the front yard of his lovely home. Hangs a little mirror from a beam and buzzes away. Then dons a sports jacket by Ralph Lauren.