Monday, October 22, 2007

The Puppy Formerly Known as Doug

This is the Puppy Formerly Known as Doug.

He came home to This Land today. Didn't expect it. In fact, on our recent trip to visit Koji's Kitchen in Long Beach we stopped and looked at some lab puppies at a breeder in Merced. Decided we didn't want those puppies, and driving back had a long discussion about if I was ready or not.

I didn't want to rush. I didn't want to bring in a new guy before I was done mourning Spanky. And I know puppies are a handful. I even brought it up, warning Diane I wasn't sure I was ready, just to make sure the gathering steam didn't roll me along.

Then last night I got onto Petfinder and found puppies just available for adoption at the Tuolumne County shelter. Including this guy, whom they had named Doug.

When I saw my motorcycle on Craigslist I knew it was going to be my motorcycle. When I saw this guy, I knew he was going to be my dog. We bought toys and puppy food while they checked our vet history at the shelter, and he came home with us about noon.

Diane thinks his name might be Marvin. Darby and Bixby have also been considered. What's he look like to you? He's a mighty mix (Muttus americanis...) and looks like he'll be a big boy. Eight weeks now.

10 comments:

Sonnjea said...

That's the cutest puppy ever!!! And I'm sure in no time, he'll rival Koj for spoildest dog ever! Maybe you'll have to live with him for a couple hours to learn his name. Koji told Scott his name, evidently.

See, just like we said this weekend, you don't pick the puppy. The puppy picks you. yea!

Anonymous said...

What a cute little guy. Live with hime for a few hours and a name will just come to you. I envy you and I'm glad he picked you.

Steve said...

"The Puppy Picks You" ranks up there on great all-time one-liners of wisdom, not unlike "There Is No Spoon"

Steve said...

Other name ideas include Parker, Edgar and Scout.

Anonymous said...

My new favorite name is Rufus. Others: Stanley. Jax.
He's very sweet!!

Sonnjea said...

Our neighbor had a dog named Parker, and we considered Scout for Koji. I like both of those a lot.

Along the lines of Scout, a dog we see sometimes is named Atticus.

Steve said...

Funny, I just suggested Harper, both in honor of Harper Lee, and because in the mix of black and tan, he has more tan - Harp Ale - than Guinness Stout.

DKoren said...

Awwww! He is really cute. Love his face. 'Course, me, I usually end up naming my animals after whatever current movie/tv characters I'm into. Right now, that's Aldo Ray's movies, so if he were mine, I'd end up naming him Hucko or Albert or Sullivan or something. :-D Love the name Rufus, though.

It's funny, because I was just thinking about puppies too. I lost my 11-year-old girl, Brinja, just a little over three weeks ago. Max, my husky, has taken her loss really hard, and I was wondering whether I should consider getting him a new companion or not.

Steve said...

So far Idgie has been very standoffish - not interested in making friends. Interested, though - last night she came downstairs when TPFKAD and I were down here. She lost Spanky three months ago, so she's had more time to get used to being queen of the roost.

What the kids remember was that she treated Spanky the same way when Diane bright him home, so we're not worried.

Sonnjea said...

There's always Dogbert.

Or, in the interest of making the weirdest suggestion: Not Doug.