Thursday, October 18, 2007

Instant Karma

I stopped at Sears today on my lunch break in Stockton to buy a wrench. (Adjusting the valves on my motorcycle requires the use of two 12mm wrenches, and I have one.) So I rectified the situation.

I used to hate Sears, mostly because the service was horrible. I don't hate it so much anymore and do like their tools, so I shop there fairly frequently. (A tool chest like the one shown here is on my wish list for the medium-distance future...)

But today I had the same lousy service that used to drive me away from Sears. The cashier had no time for me - the conversation with her co-worker was clearly more interesting - and just dumped my receipt and change into my hand. She didn't explain the coupon that also printed out and was just generally rude.

So naturally I looked for a "tell us how we're doing" message on the receipt and found one. Took the on-line survey, told Sears exactly how I was treated and felt much better.

So today's business lesson: If you're gonna treat customers badly, give them the opportunity to complain!

2 comments:

Sonnjea said...

I used to complain to the manager of a place, but most of the time these days, they don't give a crap any more than their slacker employees.

once I complained to the headquarters ABOUT a manager (at the local coffee place). She got fired. So customers DO have power. Of course, you should only use your powers for good, or the instant karma will be a bitch...

Steve said...

I do the surveys for exceptionally good service as well. A couple of years ago, when I got Diane her guitar for Christmas, the salesguy was so helpful and took all time we needed to make the right choice, that I wrote to Guitar Center to tell them. Sometime later, on their bulletin board, I saw my e-mail posted and that the salesman had got a customer service award. Gotta like that.