Monday, October 08, 2007

Back in the Closet


Now that Diane is back in town with the camera, I can post a few closet pictures.

(Expect pretty New York pictures soon.)

Here's the before - the same light mint color as our bedroom, initially with no shoe cubbies (left), then with shoe cubbies.

I think the best thing I did in this project isn't the paint (and certainly isn't the color), it's the finishing touches before the paint. The original shelf supports stock out past the edge of the shelves and weren't uniform. Now they're all flush and matched. The shoe cubby had some rounded-front shelves and some flat-front shelves. Now every shelf is rounded.

The color is too pink for our taste, but didn't look that way until it went up on the wall. I told Sonnjea it was tan with too much pink, and she said that sounds like flesh and even she wouldn't put that color on a wall. I debated repainting, but decided to put the closet back together first and see if it was OK. It is - you just can't see a big enough expanse of wall anywhere for it to be too bad. When we pick a better color for the bedroom walls, I'll revist the closet if it looks bad in comparison.

At least I started with one gallon of paint and in the closet and don't have five gallons of flesh going to waste!

(And if anyone is wondering why I'm only showing pictures of my side of the closet it's because Diane just got back in town and hasn't had a chance to organize her side of the closet...)

3 comments:

Sonnjea said...

I agree, all the shelves and cubby details look nice and polished now. And (at least in the photos) it doesn't look horribly pink. Or fleshy.

DKoren said...

Man, I wish I could hire you to work on my new house! It needs that kind of attention and additions. Right now I'm working on outside stuff like the roof, replacing missing shingles ripped off last year by the Santa Anas.

The closet looks fabulous, though the color sounds a bit scary!

Steve said...

Shingles are more important than shelves!