Sunday, March 04, 2007

Off Kilter

Let me say up front I know this is a bad idea. When you have sisters and brothers-in-law as smart, clever, funny and merciless as I do, you don't have to give them any ammunition to work with.

Having said that, here's a picture of me in my kilt. Like I said, the Elliott tartan is quite striking. The sporran is a great place to carry your Blackberry!

I led a foreign policy discussion this afternoon (I get asked once a year for the past three years) and today's topic was immigration, and I thought I'd remind them we all came from somewhere else. Besides, it let me make a good joke.

"I suppose I should address the way I'm dressed," I said. "I've been doing this for three years now, and this is the first time I've worn a tie."

Yeah, well, polite laughter is still laughter...

10 comments:

Sonnjea said...

See, you said we're smart, funny & clever, and then it's so hard to live up to that description, that we can't think of anything smart, funny or clever to say. Very clever strategy on your part.

I guess I'll just say that people with feet as large as the Elliotts should not wear skirts and flat shoes -- it just makes the ginormous feet look even more ginormous. So you have two choices, as far as I can see: one, stop wearing kilts or two, wear heels with your kilt.

Steve said...

If you think I'm posting a kilt-and-high-heels picture, you're completely off your beam!

Anonymous said...

Then I'll have to post it for him.

Next Stop Oregon said...

First, good follow through! Second, brave to show us and a class of students! Third, there was no mention of knee-high socks w/flourish! Fourth, so not sure the skinny tie goes with that outfit. Fifth, no sure any outfit goes with that skinny tie! Sixth, Sonnjea - make this your WMML so that you can drive some of your loyal followers here! You got some traffic related to Spanky, why not your brother in a skirt?! Okay, enough for now ... but Dave may have more later!

Steve said...

Skinny ties go with EVERYTHING.

Dave V said...

Have you EVER heard Clinton say that?! - S

Steve said...

I do find it amusing that the comments so far have pertained to the shoes and the tie.

See, kilts rock!

Next Stop Oregon said...

I'm not sure I would go there! I think it is more like when a think is too big and overwhelming to address, you just dance around the edge? So, think of the socks and tie as the edge!

Dave V said...

Did you borrow that belt buckle from Mr. T ?

Steve said...

Mr. T's was gold. Colors clashed. This was a leftover from the Urban Cowboy prop department...