Saturday, March 31, 2007

Year Two and A Damn Lot of New Lights!

These are the light bulbs we've replaced with CFLs over the past few weeks. Made the last big switchover today.

The timing is very nice -- tomorrow is our one year anniversary in the house, so beginning tomorrow, we'll have a pretty accurate apples-to-apples comparison of energy usage and PG&E bills.

Today I even made a spreadsheet to analyse usage last year to this year, and month to month. Here's what I know so far: Last year, we used an average of 33.4 kilowatt hours a day and paid an average of $0.21 per kilowatt hour. When I insulated to spa last July, usage dipped significantly. I marked the months I know I changed the spa water, but obviously there were some I missed.

Anyway, we had a few rooms done a few weeks ago, and the early daylight savings time, and our bill in March was about the same as our February bill, even though we drained and filled the spa. So it's a start.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well first of all Happy 1st for the new home. Seems like you have been there longer -- That's quite a few light bulbs. I have 2 in and will be getting 6 more soon. Hope we all save a few bucks.

Pat said...

Are you using CFLs in your recessed lights too?

Sonnjea said...

Happy Anniversary!!

I just got the electric bill for March, and it went down again!! We used 477 kWh in Feb, which was down from 746 in Jan, and only 401 in March! At this rate, we'll soon be MAKING electricity...

I like your spreadsheet. I made one too -- it has a graph!

Dave V said...

Happy Anniversary! Sonnjea gets her Element detailed on it's b-day. What does that translate to for a house?

BTW - with our new-found-cable we watched "What Not to Wear" on Friday ... all is right with the world again! - S

Dave V said...

Are we the only family that makes spreadsheets for this type of thing?! I'm pretty sure most people don't!

Anonymous said...

Believe me, spreadsheets are the most minor of your abnormal family traits. Craw wars come to mind, and oh-so-many other things.

Steve said...

Pat - Yes, CFLs in the recessed lights, too. They look just like standard recessed bulbs. (In the closets, where there are recessed fixtures, we used regular spiral bulbs because they're cheaper.)

As for house anniversary chores, septic tank maintainence is on my agenda for today!

No spreadsheet for that...

Dave V said...

yeah, we don't need to know about the # of flushes in February, or if there are any outlier months...