Saturday, July 14, 2007

Nobody'll Notice But Me...

I promised (warned?) there would be new motorcycle pictures soon.
This was what it looked like when I got it. Notice the frame, especially at both ends of the diagonal stiffening bar. Had some pretty significant chipping and paint erosion, I'm sure from spending the last 33 years in the Bay Area.

This is what it looks like now. I blasted and repainted both stiffening bars, and cleaned and touch-up painted the frame. I'm sure no one will ever notice, but I will...

I still need to find a speedometer or gauge cluster, and ignition switch and original key - the key is broken off inside this switch and anything will turn it - and need to replace the off-brand tires with better-handling Metzlers.

Yeah, and there's front fork reflectors I still need to replace (they're missing) and any number of little bits and pieces along the way that will need replacing or repairing as the years go on.

But - take a look again - at least this machine is worth it!

7 comments:

Sonnjea said...

Looks very nice. It's a much better choice than your last bike - it's more stylish, plus you can ride it AND work on it. Good job!

Next Stop Oregon said...

Happy project!

Next Stop Oregon said...

Looks great. Great job on touching up the paint. I love the bike. Happy riding. I'm still jealous.

Steve said...

Thanks one and all!

Next Stop Oregon said...

I still don't know what the diagonal stiffening bar is ... but everything is much shinier in the "after" pics!

Steve said...

It's the bar that runs diagonally across the engine, from upper left to lower right. I was hoping that calling it a "diagonal stiffining bar" would make it easier to spot than calling it a torsion bar...

Next Stop Oregon said...

I just lack interest in engines ... so to me it is just shiny! But, thanks for trying to keep it in moron terms for the mechanically challenged!