Sunday, February 18, 2007

Snow Jackalopes

Only Diane qualifies as a snow bunny, but she had Frankie and I with her today. Here's proof:

So I haven't skied since high school, and then I only did it once. And I never got past the T-bar and onto a chair lift. Today we went to Bear Valley, where both Diane and Frankie have considerable experience. Peak rates because of the holiday weekend, but Frankie was home because of the holiday weekend. And Bear's only about 40 minutes away, so what the hell. We got up early and headed up.

On the plus side, I never fell. Not once. Two times down the bunny hill for some instruction, two times down Cub, three times down Super Cub (both sides) and I didn't face-plant once. Turned, stayed balanced, zipped around pretty well for the first time. (There was one near-fall and a couple of "turn...turn...TURN...TURN!!! moments, but no falls.)

My big question was when did I turn into a complete and total wussy when it comes to heights? (Or was I always?) Chair lifts are way up in the air, and sometimes they rock back and forth. This is NOT GOOD. I did it, and the last two runs down Super Cub I really enjoyed, but I never got comfortable on the lifts. Maybe in time, I guess. Maybe in time.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve was a remarkably good skier today. I mean, remarkable. It was snowing, and visibility was bad, but he was downright graceful on the slopes. Frankie and I were impressed.

Sonnjea said...

Okay, AD, I've known him longer than both of you, and "downright graceful" does not belong in the same sentence with "Steve".

But I admit to also not loving the chair lifts. I have also been known to get stuck at the top of a hill, refusing to go down, for several minutes. Of course, once I do, everything is fine, but sometimes I'm more frozen by fear than by the frigid temps.

Still, as beginning-intermediate as I am, I love to ski. Sounds like you had a pretty fun day, too.

Next Stop Oregon said...

The picture is great and sounds like a fun day! I find it strange that all 3 of us have height issues. When I would watch Fear Factor and there was a height challenge my hands would sweat! Good lord - I am sitting on my couch, a mere 2 feet off of the ground, and I'm freaking out! I wonder if mom or dad have height issues as well. Is there a DNA marker? Or are we all just sissies?

Word Imp said...

The bit I hate is leaping off the chair lift - especially with a pair of unwieldy skis attached to my legs. My heart is in my mouth each time I make that leap of faith onto the snow at the end of the chair lift. But maybe I'm just a wuss. I feel that way at the bottom of an escalator too!

Sonnjea said...

Ah, jeez, I hate escalators.