Thursday, February 22, 2007

In Praise of Z-Chains and All-Wheel Drive

When I bought my two-wheel-drive truck, we didn't live in Avery, at 3,400 feet, where snow is a certainty every winter. I didn't sweat it, though. I figured there'd be 10 days a year or so I regretted the decision, and 355 I appreciated the better gas milage.

I did buy good chains, though. Z-chains, which turn out to be the cat's frickin' PJ's when it comes to snow chains.

It had just started snowing as I drove to school today. It was a production day, so skipping wasn't really an option. Got it about half done, and there's a late story coming in, so that was about as far as I could get, so I came home around 3 p.m. And the snow starts in Murphys.

I went about two miles above Murphys and it was building up on the roads enough to make me pull over. I got out my Z-chains, read the instructions, then put the first one on. These chains are great -- you don't have to lay them out and drive over them. They just sweep around the tire from behind, latch here, here and here, and snap on a rubber tensioner. I put the first one on, and honestly wondered what I had done wrong. "Is it that easy?" I asked myself. Second went on in less than a minute. Truck trucked right on home and into our drive. If you need chains, Z-CHAINS ROCK!

But tonight we had to go down to Angels Camp for play rehearsal (I still don't know how I got dragged into the Calaveras Follies...) and we went in Diane's Hyundai Santa Fe. All-wheel drive with traction control. Started raining in Angels Camp while we're running the numbers. Then started snowing in Angels Camp (ele. 1,400 feet). So when Diane's number was done (she's the star, by the way) we started up the hill. An inch-plus in Angels. Snowing steady. We have chains in that car as well, but I decided that I'd see how well we did without them.

So we motored. And motored. And motored past a spin-out. And a second. Going uphill I could feel an occassional stutter as the wheels tried to spin and the traction control told them not to. But other than that, it just pulled steady. Turned off 4 onto Avery Sheep Ranch, and that had been plowed, but a while ago. Two to four inches of snow. No problem. Turned onto Roan -- six inches of snow. No problem. Turned into our driveway -- a berm and 12 inches of snow. Got there, then started spinning the wheels. In the driveway. Home.

7 comments:

Sonnjea said...

That's cool! The Element has all-the-time-four-wheel-drive, but I've never driven in the snow yet. We keep chains in it just in case (because you know how often we get snow here in So Cal...)

But never mind all that. You're in a play?? See, I totally get AD being in a play, and being the STAR of the play, but the last play I remember you being in a play, you wore purple tights.

You're not wearing purple tights in this one, are you? Because if you are, Mr. Fix-it might have to miss school to come and see the play.

Anonymous said...

So how come we haven't heard about this play before? Details please

Steve said...

It's a musical review. And before anybody faints, it's a lip-synch musical review. (And even then, they don't let me lip synch!)

Diane is the star of the number "Tap Your Troubles Away!" I'm a glorified extra in "Cocktails for Two." It's a fundraiser for the Calaveras Mentoring Program. Diane is quite funny in her number. Performance is Saturday night, tickets are $50 per (food and a no-host bar) and all are welcome!

Anonymous said...

As in tomorrow Saturday?

Next Stop Oregon said...

Have a great time .... and maybe you can wear the purple under your pants! I can totally remember that play you were in at Charles Wright. I was really young ... but the purple tights are really unforgettable!

Maybe next time we see you we can get ADs autograph!

Steve said...

Tomorrow Saturday. And I don't wear pants

Anonymous said...

Purple tights. That's just too funny for words. I wish I had a photo of that! Steve wears a kilt in his act - not because the part calls for a kilt, but because he is Steve. And he looks dashing.