Saturday, December 30, 2006

A Neat New Year

As 2006 ends, we're off to a neat start to the New Year.

When Diane and Gina were gone the other day I sorted my closet, ditched a bunch of stuff I no longer wear and straightened the rest. I know my dress shirts don't need to be on wooden hangers, but at Ross they're really cheap and they look damn nice.

We're getting started on a bigger reorganizing project in the basement, too. When I brought up Christmas boxes I discovered the the bottom on some of them were rotting. The dirt isn't as dry as I thought. So I've declared the basement a cardboard-free zone, and we're going to get everything into plastic or onto shelves. Bought 14 18-gallon stackable containers at Wal Mart today, and Diane's begun the sorting. I'll build shelves, bring in patio pavers, organize and stack until there isn't a single bit of wood or cardboard on the dirt in there. Wood-eating bugs are not allowed. Or at least certainly not encouraged.

Anyway, Happy New Year (and New Fence!) to everyone!

6 comments:

Sonnjea said...

Excellent organizing!! Did you know all of my clothes are hung in the closet according to color? Shirts/blouses on one side of the closet, pants/skirts on the other, and all facing the same direction and grouped by color.

I'm sure you needed to know that. Anyway, happy New Year!!!

Anonymous said...

Your sister has too much time on her hands

Steve said...

I've actually grouped stuff by color before, but it never lasts. Fcaing the same direction is only natural, of course!

My over-organized item is my wallet: Bills are gouped by demonination, all facing the same way and right-side-up, smallest in front.

Next Stop Oregon said...

Wow! We are a family of freaks! Sonnjea knows that I lack the closet organization that she has. In fact, everytime we move I am hopeful that she will magically appear and put all of my clothes away ... like she did for me in DC. I always leave the clothes for last, holding out hope! Don't forget, this is also the person that organizes her books by color! If you are visual person, it makes the most logical sense, right?! I feel like a year-end slacker! Mom's hitting the gym, Sonnjea & Scott have building a fence, you've organized your clothes and storage area. Me. I've been seeing if it is possible for one person to go through a box of Kleenex in a day. Hopefully '07 will bring me more energy and less germs! Good purchase on the hangers. They look fancy! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the bills in ones wallet - they must always be faced with the smallest bill in front. It's a law isn't it?

Sonnjea said...

I only ever have the smallest bills, but my singles are all straight and pointing the same way.

What a weird family.