Monday, December 18, 2006

Modem madness and holiday hangovers

Technology abandoned me today. Or it delivered me. It's hard to tell.

Was up early, at my desk about 7:30 and found our Internet connection down. Tried to reset the modem and it refused. Tried the cable TV and it worked. This is not a good sign.

I called Comcast and they tried to reset my modem but it refused their efforts, too. Sometime alone in the dark, cold December night, the old modem died in its sleep. The Comcast guy made an appointment for a tech to come out tomorrow, but also said I could take the dead modem in to a Comcast center and swap it for a living one. The nearest Comcast center is in Valley Springs -- 45 miles away. Still that's faster than a tech tomorrow, so I was on the road by 8:05. (At 8:02 it was 24 degrees...)

Back home by 10 or so with my Brand New Modem. Took calls to somewhere in Florida (Comcast) and somewhere in India (Linksys) to get back in full operation. Took a live-chat session with LaShon (I didn't ask where she was...) to restore our e-mail accounts. Was back in business somewhere around 2:30 p.m.

So on the one hand I could complain about the pretty much lost day, but on the other hand tech support in two continents straightened out hardware and software issues and now I have three computers (Frankie's home) back on line at cable speeds. And for free. So I choose not to complain.

As for the Holiday Hangover, a neighbor had a dinner party on Saturday and invited us and two other couples from our block. There was a lot of wine and various liquors. To give you an idea of how drunk we all were, before the night was over we went carroling. And it was my idea...

5 comments:

Sonnjea said...

Glad your computers are all up and at 'em.

You know you're not supposed to sing in public. What were you thinking????????

Steve said...

Like I said, MUCH wine.

Next Stop Oregon said...

Maybe instead of Sonnjea and I doing a rendition of "I am Woman" in Jan., it will be your turn! Start planning ... and you can have annonoymous tap dance! Oh, I am liking this plan!

Anonymous said...

We weren't just caroling, by the way. We were barking Jingle Bells in perfect Red Neck fashion. Arf Arf Arf, Arf Arf Arf, Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf....

Oh, and another thing. Steve is going to perform as a "Zany" in a lip-sync show February 24.

Steve said...

Let me clarify: Steve was volunteered to perform as a Zany in a lip-synch show Feb. 24.

Thank god it's only lip-synching!