Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Buying Local, But...

I believe in buying local. I prefer shopping at the local Ace Hardware in Arnold, and at the local Napa Auto in Arnold. Not only are they close, but I'm willing to spend a few bucks more to support stores - and people - in the area.

So today I'm feeling guilty.

We need tires on our rigs. Diane got 72,000 miles on a set of BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, and I got 40,000 on Bridgestone Duelers. (I'm considerably less enamored with the Bridgestones...) There's a tire shop here in Avery and I've had repairs done there and like the guy and went to price tires there today, knowing that he probably wouldn't be able to beat, say, Costco's price. (I'm not a big Costco fan, but Diane is so we are members.)

Both the local guy and Costco guy recommended Michelin LTX's highly, and so do consumer review sites. I'd spend $50 or $60 more per car to shop locally, I really would. But with a special coming up Oct. 8 at Costco, the difference is $185 - per car.

That's just too much money to leave on the table, so as much as I hate to say it, Costco got the order.

(By the way, this is a slightly different font than I usually use. What do folks think?)

3 comments:

Next Stop Oregon said...

Hello from Chicago. I'm here (or in a suburb called Oakbrook) for a class. I've got homework and everything, so this is my break from that! I understand your guilt, but more importantly, I support your decision to buy with Costco! You've got the timing of the sale .... without that you would have probably gone with the local guy. And, think of it this way .... you are going to save a lot of $$ on this transaction - which frees up some $$ for alternative purchases (dinner out, new top, etc.). So, the tire guy isn't going to get that money, but someone else in town will get some of the saved money.

We cannot wait to see you next week!

Steve said...

This is your break from homework in Chicago? Sad sad sad. We are also looking forward to the trip!

Sonnjea said...

Hello from Long Beach. I like the font -- easier to read (it's hard to read white on black on a computer screen because of the glare).