Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Deconstructed Dilemma

So I have a dilemma.

Actually, I have a motorcycle in pieces and I'm not sure what to do about it. Remember the history: I bought this non-running 1978 Honda CB750 a couple of years ago for $250 with the idea of tearing it all down (done) and rebuilding it in the cafe-racer style. (What I really, really want is a BMW R90S.)

Here is my dilemma. The bike had 48,000 miles on it and a frozen cylinder. (Piston rusted in place.) It had also been dropped fairly hard at one point. One of the engine mounts was broken off, and when I opened the block there was one small loose metal chip inside. So I can't know for sure what's straight.

I know the rest of what's wrong with the engine. The cam is worn beyond spec, as are the valve seats. As open as the engine is, it makes sense to replace the main bearings. All in all, with the cam, head work, bearings, gaskets, rings and piston, I'm looking at $1,000-plus in the engine.

Then there's the rest of what needs to be done to the bike. Most of it I'd do myself and that's more than half of the fun. And all of the learning. And another $1,000.

I've spent time and a little money (but not really too much) getting it this far. I stalled because once I commit to the engine, I have to go all the way and I haven't really seen the logic in that yet.

And I still want a motorcycle to tool around on. Especially as the weather gets nice, going out for a spin on some of our winding back roads would be great fun.

So what should I do? Bite the bullet and keep going? Sell off what I can on ebay and try again later on a different bike? Buy something running that would be worth restoring if I wanted to down the road? Buy a beater for less than $2,000 and call it a win? Get over it and buy golf clubs?

Advice is appreciated. (Smart-alec comments are anticipated...)

6 comments:

Sonnjea said...

It's difficult to tool around on golf clubs, and you look pretty silly trying.

It IS a dilemma. I guess one way to look at it is: figure out how much you think you'll have to put into it total to get it running properly and then ask yourself if you'd PAY that much outright for that particular bike.

But another way, of course, is to look at it as a learning tool with a rideable payoff at the end.

And still another is that if you bought something that runs NOW and can be restored over time, you get the benefits of both worlds: you can tool around immediately and still have the option of playing with it and learning how to rebuild it over time.

I'd go with the last option. You never know how long it might take you to finish the current bike - work could get really busy and take your time away from it forever - and then you'd never have gotten to tool around on your lovely mountain roads.

See - smart aleck comments AND advice; I'm very versatile!

Steve said...

Not only versitle, but good advice. Because you're right - I'd be spending more than I'd buy the bike for completely done. (Not uncommon in resto projects...)

Thanks for weighing in. I'll see if anybody else does.

Next Stop Oregon said...

Since Sonnjea went first I've really got nothing new to add! But, I do see the logic in buying something rideable now. It doesn't seem like you'd get your bike working this year, so you'll miss out on riding this year. If you are able to afford keeping your current bike and buying a working one you could eventually restore yours and sell it for profit (you'd have to determine that because I know nothing about the resale value of bikes). I don't know how you and Diane feel about having 2 bikes (hopefully she doesn't now hate me for the suggestion). It could take up too much room, time, $$, etc. Just one more option! Did you go to the frog jumping contest?

Steve said...

We passed on the frog jumping this year. It's part of the fair, and its a pretty cheesy fair (redundant, I know...) and guys yelling at frogs has really never done it for me as a spectator sport.

Steve said...

I do think I have my answer here.

What I want is a older BMW R series (doesn't have to be the R90s, but I do like the S fairing and dual brakes.) Looking at Craigs List, it appears I can get a late '70s/early '80s R series bike for $2000 to $2500 (although there's a 1979 R65 in Los Gatos right now for $700...)

So I think I'll write off the Honda as a learning exercise and sell what parts I can and save up the cash and keep checking Craigs List and ebay and buy a running bike that I don't have to make look like the kind of bike I want because it is the kind of bike I want.

Sonnjea said...

See, weren't we helpful!?

Although that bit about the frogs was scary.