Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bad Movies 2, Good Movies 1

Not been too much happening lately, except dancing to an ever-changing tune called by the local First 5 bureaucrats. And since there are only so many words like incompetent, asinine and infuriating, it would be a short blog if I only wrote about that. (I did make one of them whine to her supervisor, though, because I talked mean to her...)

But I was able to watch a few movies this week, so I'll do reviews.

Children of Men - (Or, Please Kill Me Now & End This Needless Suffering)


This one surprised me. I had been looking forward to it, and I don't need happy stories or even happy endings to enjoy a movie. But Jesus Christ on a stick, this is just suicide-inspiring. Michael Caine kills his wife and dog and he's the most likeable character in the movie.

You have been warned.

Spider Man 3 -- (Wake me, and Toby McGuire, when it's over...)

Snuck into this free, so I wasn't overcharged. Didn't expect great shakes from Spidey 3, and got about what I expected. There are some good sequences, but mostly I was bored. All three villains were far more interesting than the purported protagonist, and the great inner conflict within Peter Parker boiled down to whether to wear his hair down over his forehead (bad Spidey) or combed neatly back (good Spidey.) Toby mailed it in.


Hot Fuzz (Or, When Good Zombies Get Guns)

This is the buddy-cop-movie spoof by the guys who did "Shawn of the Dead." (And if you haven't seen Shawn of the Dead, check it out. It's one of the best and funniest parodies ever.) (And it's not Scary Movie 2 slapstick scenes thrown together, either. It's has a legit narrative.)

This isn't as funny as Shawn because they stayed true to the buddy-cop genre and traded laugh-out-loud funny for clever. And it's very clever. It's the best of the three by far, and they get extra credit for pulling off a perfect - perfect - Point Break homage.

6 comments:

Sonnjea said...

I had thought Children of Men could go either way, but I was afraid it'd be pretty awful. And after I almost died of boredom at the first spidey movie, I haven't returned for more. Tobey is so bland and Kirsten Dunst is just plain annoying. Never heard of Hot Fuzz, but it sounds great!

And excellent job on talking mean to the bureaucrat, AND on using "Jesus Christ on a stick" in a sentence!

Steve said...

You seen any good movies lately?

Sonnjea said...

No, and we're at the bottom of the barrel at the rental store. Catch & Release was watchable, but that's about as positive as I can get about that. A Good Year seemed like it took a good year off my life. Deja Vu was decent. I like time travel movies because you can't really argue with the filmmakers - who's to say if you can or can't do what they claim? So I liked it pretty well. Watched An Ideal Husband last night - it's old, but it was the only comedy I could find at the store that didn't include Ben Stiller, and it was enjoyable. And for tomorrow we have Blade 3.

Of course, I will see Pirates (in the theater) after Mr. Fix-it's big exam. And Die Hard, too. And the Bourne movie. I admit it; I'm shamelessly big-budget Hollywood in my movie taste!

Dave V said...

I rented Children of Men when Sara was in New Orleans and I could not even finish watching it. So, I agree with your review entirely.

Unfortunately, I feel like it's been a long time since I've seen a good movie...

Steve said...

You guys still watching Firefly? The big screen followup, Serenity, is good.

Sonnjea said...

I saw Serenity and think I would've liked it better if I'd seen Firefly.

I think they should make a Buffy movie.