Sunday, January 28, 2007

Studio M and Style & Co. and Inc. - Oh My!

I amuse sales associates in Macy's.

Diane and I went shopping yesterday because she needed some clothes for her new job. One of the great things about working mostly from home is that it doesn't require a wide wardrobe, and the same pieces work over and over when meeting different clients.

Doesn't work as well at Davis, however, and Diane realized this week that in the six days she's been there, she wore the same cool Benneton jacket four times. So yesterday she had a haircut appointment in Modesto and I went with and we went shopping.

This is where the amusment part comes in. First, it appears not many husbands accompany their wives. Second, the ones that do seem to stand around in impatient huffs or resigned indifference. The ones who go through the rack and bring in different pieces and evaluate the clothes as they're tried on are in very short supply. And the fact that I have good taste -- as least as far as being able to tell what looks good on Annoymous Diane -- doesn't hurt.

So anyway, with two separate rounds of trying on stuff at Macys (interrupted by a trip to Gottchalks, where Realtors shop, apparently) we emerged victorious with several nice business basics, including shoes, that have AD set for a while. They include a Studio M skirt that has black and white stripes going several different directions. It was in the morning hold pile that I thought might not make the cut in the afternoon simply because of price. Then she tried it on again and left me no choice.

To avoid any Ryan Seacrest Awards, I also bought a 1" dial indicator and inside bore gauges because I'm working on my motorcycle again. Not sure it offsets...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least three sales women told me, "You're so lucky to have a husband like that." And a shopper in the shoe department told Steve point blank, "You're sure are a good husband."

And he is, of course.

Seriously, it was like shopping with Stacey and Clinton. (Complete with wise-assed comments.) If I had gone by myself, I would have come away with two t-shirts.

Sonnjea said...

Yecats!?!

Mr. Fix-it is also an excellent personal shopper (and husband). In fact, many of my favorite pieces are items I overlooked -- in my mad dash towards something orange or whatever -- and that he calmly collected and brought to me in the dressing room. He's also very good at convincing me that something I love on the hanger is not so swell on me, and he does it without using words like "fat" or "muffin-top" or "matronly".

He's not as good with shoes, though. And his limit is about an hour, and then he has to go to the bookstore or his head will explode.

Steve said...

Not that Stacey!

Sonnjea said...

I know, it's just funny to type yecats...

Next Stop Oregon said...

Sounds like a great outing! One of the things that was funny about our visit to CA happened on Friday night. Dave and I were pretty wiped out from our drive and a sorry attempt at running on my part. We all migrated to the couch about eight, minus AD b/c her foot was involved in a chair-tipping accident. We flipped around and didn't see anything exciting. So I asked Steve, what would you be watching if we weren't here. Quickly the TV was switched to TLC and we were watching "What Not to Wear"! It would have been our choice too if we still had cable at home! Glad to know we all learned some fashion sense in our adult lives. Because looking back at some pictues we found in the homeland ... we certainly lacked it in our childhood!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.