Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Beauty and the Basement

Van Gogh had Starry Starry Night.

Michelangelo had the Sistine Chapel.

Anonymous Diane has the basement Storage Area.

As I mentioned, when we brought up Christmas boxes, I discovered the bottoms of some of them were rotting. I don't want to encourage rot and decay in the foundation area of our home, so I decided the basement needed to be a cardboard-free zone. At least no wood or cardboard in contact with the dirt. A few days after Christmas we bought 14 storage containers, 18-gallons each, and on Jan. 1 we bought six more. (By my math, that's 360 gallons of storage...)

Then I stood back and let the master work.

Diane got ON it. (Yes, she gets into things...) For days our living room was the site of serious sorting. One pickup load went to the dump. Another load is going to the thrift store. And 360 gallons of stuff was packed into labeled bins and stacked in the basement.


I bought pavers to keep some stuff off the ground. A table in the back wears soup-can shoes. My bunker supplies are labeled and handy.

I promised NSO we could play cards down here. I'm not saying we have to, but we could.

4 comments:

Next Stop Oregon said...

It looks too cold to play poker down there this Jan! Maybe next trip! Also, I don't want to wear soup can shoes. It doesn't sound comfortable. But, the bins do look neat and organized! Great job getting rid of so much too! Especially since you just moved there and did a bit purge before the move!

Steve said...

Speaking of cold, we just got about an inch of snow!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's ALOT of storage containers! Congrats to Diane for a job well done.
It's cold enough to snow here. Windy also.

Sonnjea said...

Sorry I'm so late. I couldn't type because my hands were caked with paint. I love your project!! My dream is to have everything organized like that, and labeled, and neat...

Maybe over Spring break! (Or not)