Sunday, October 19, 2008

Happy '02 News

Despite the title of my last blog over at Everything's Shiny ("A Better Autocross, Sept. 9) my 2002 has been giving me fits ever since getting towed home that day.

Would start but not run. Would run and then the distributor cap would pop off. Would run at high RPM but not idle. Those were the things I didn't know the cause for. On top of that, I knew I had bad threads in one of the spark plug holes and exhaust leak past the plug.

With some diagnostic help from the 2002faq.com forum and Larry B., I finally figured out there were two causes to the first list of problems - a bad motor mount that let the engine rock enough to whack the distributor against the firewall and an air leak somewhere between the carb and the cylinders throwing off the air/fuel mixture.

Installed new motor mounts a week or two ago and on Friday took the head in and had the spark plug threads drilled out and replaced with steel inserts. (All four of them - don't want to have to revisit the machine shop any time soon.)
Found the air leak during the disassembly process.

Put it all back together on Saturday and it fired right up. Dialed in the timing and carb adjustments this morning, and the '02 is back on the road. Now back to tracing the short in the No. 6 circuit...

2 comments:

Sonnjea said...

Yea! I don't know what the heck you said, but I get that the car a) didn't run and b) now does run. That seems like a good thing!

Dave V said...

DITTO