Sunday, October 12, 2008

Habitat Shedding

No Cal game this week, but the Bears did move into the AP top 25. (Not playing does have its rewards...)

As a UT grad, Back From Bolivia Ben is quite happy Texas has moved into the number one spot.

New construction plan in This Land is a second shed, this one in the Back .40. This picture is the inspiration, although I'm planning some major changes. First, there will be a large window on the near end (4+ feet wide by 3 high) and a narrow (10 inch x 40 inch) window on the far end, set high for a little light and ventilation. Second, it won't have a saltbox roof (the unequal roof faces) because that shortens the rear wall too much and we're tallish people around here. Also won't have cedar shingles because of the fire danger.

I do like the dutch doors, cedar siding and size - it's 8 x 12. Although it's a spring construction plan (provided the economy cooperates...), I did get the three windows I need at a Habitat for Humanity store in Modesto this week. Two brand new, one used, all priced at $40 each. I got them because I needed dimensions to start drawing my own plans. I'm hoping the Habitat store will also provide upper and lower kitchen cabinets for the rear wall inside the shed and, if I get real lucky, the cedar siding. Might be able to get the shingles and other stuff there as well.

It'll be Diane's project place/retreat/gardening shed and will have a potting bench built outside along the near end. (We currently share the shed attached to the garage. Once the new one is built, the garden stuff will get relocated and I will get all the space in the small shed for storage.)

Since my project car gets parked right next to this shed, it'll be handy.

Deck remains on the long-term wish-list, but since fencing the whole yard and getting rid of the old dog run, there's been less need for it. We're also going to keep expenses down as much as possible for a while, so the deck may just have to wait....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Steve, this looks cool. I'll bet Di will love it. Her own little retreat/gardening/? place. So nice to have room on your property for these "extra rooms". Always a project, right? Ah the joys of home ownership.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last comment was from me. Nancy

Steve said...

It's the old Japanes saying: House done, life over.

Sonnjea said...

A very cool shed indeed! I love the dutch door - you can close the bottom half to keep out Gus and still talk to humans and see out. Very cool!

Retired Mama said...

That is a great looking shed. Are you going to wire it for electricity so Diane can keep warm and see what she is working on? I just saw an ad on TV for a Habitat Store in Fresno. Great idea.

Steve said...

No wiring - that adds a level of permitting and hassle I don't need. I may put up a small solar panel to power a few lights, or use rechargable LEDs.