Saturday, January 05, 2008

Go Speed-o-meter Go!

How about a break from puppy pictures just long enough for a few motorcycle parts.

This was the instrument cluster when I bought the bike. The tach (on the right) worked fine, by the speedometer/odometer did not. (The trip reset dial did work, but since it didn't ever register any miles, there wasn't much call to use it.)



It took a while to find a decent cluster on the eBay that went for what I wanted to pay, but a while ago I did. It required complete disassembly, lubrication and reassembly. I relocated my working tach into the new cluster housing, painted both needles and put it back together.


That's when I discovered that the speedometer cable was also bonky, but that's been replaced.


Here's how it looks now. I'd go test it, but it's sleeting outside, and riding in the sleet doesn't sound like much fun!

2 comments:

Next Stop Oregon said...

Pretty! And clean! And smart for not riding in the bad weather! Stay inside where it is warm and dry!

Sonnjea said...

Cool. And I now know a new word: bonky.