Thursday, December 20, 2007

Stockton

Very sad and disturbing news in Stockton, today. The man I work for at Lao Family was murdered last night outside the non-profit's office on Hammer Lane.

His name was Pheng Lo. He learned English as a janitor in Florida after fleeing Laos in the 1970s, got into social service work in Denver, and has been at Lao Family, mostly as Executive Director, since the mid-1980s. From what another employee told me, he wasn't robbed, just shot as he closed up the office for the evening and locked the door.

That's really all I know. I have no idea who or why anyone would do this, and don't know what it will mean for the agency. A period of struggle, to be sure, but I hope after that the agency will continue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry - what terrible news.

Next Stop Oregon said...

That's awful. I'm sorry. It is always so difficult to wrap your mind around a sudden death ... add the horrible crime element to it and then you are thinking about the loss and issues within society as well.

Sonnjea said...

I'm sorry, too. That's so terrible, I have no words. I'm just sorry.

Steve said...

Thanks all. It's just a shock. There's a decent story about him on The Record's web page: www.recordnet.com

JKTDoramaLover said...

Pheng Lo was my uncle (my moms older brother) and i'm very sad this happened. I do know that there are some speculations; however no one really knows why this happen, it's too sudden. He was a warm and loving person to be with; always loved to smile. His laughter still echos sometimes and i will miss him. There are heart breaks in the family, those who love him will surelly miss him and we all hope that there will be justice for my Uncle. I'm sure that day will come. Rest in Peace Uncle Pheng.