Thursday, August 02, 2007

Done and Done

Today I finished graduate school.

OK, I got the degree from Columbia University back in 1993, but it came with strings attached. Those strings were pulled by Sallie Mae, who has enjoyed getting a check from me every month for the past 14 years.

Well, Sallie can go to hell.

A few months ago, I transferred most of my remaining $7,500 balance onto a Discover card with a locked-in interest rate of 3.9%. (Sallie was taking 9%...) Paid off the remaining Sallie Mae balance a few months ago, and have been working through the $5,000 I put on Discover. Today I paid the last of that off and am, finally, DONE WITH STUDENT LOANS!

Unfortunately, Sallie had a buddy named Chase. Working to get him off my back next.

7 comments:

Sonnjea said...

Yea for you!

Our financial aid just got reduced by the amount Scott is getting for his graduate student research position - so now we can't get loans for that amount, even though we end up paying taxes on the income and so get far less than we would if they gave us the loans.

The upside, of course, is less student loan debt, but the downside is we can afford less food. I like food.

Steve said...

I'm sorry - food is a hard habit to break. But less loan debt is good, and you'll have all those ebay profits, too.

Sonnjea said...

And anyway, Scott has been wanting to go on a diet.

Next Stop Oregon said...

Congrats! I missed reading the blogs yesterday, so you've been school debt free for a full day! Us, not so much! Oh well. That is great that you continue to move forward in the financial freedom realm. Have a great weekend!

Next Stop Oregon said...

Bummer about the diet for Scott!

Dave V said...

No diets on your trip to Oregon.

Deal?

Dave V said...

Way to go 3 elements!!!!