Sunday, April 12, 2009

Unrequited Car Lust; Unresolved Car Issues

I'm having car issues.

One broken nut KO'ed the 2002 for far longer than one broken nut should. (I have a new tranny being shipped from a dismantler on the coast - should get it late next week and hopefully be back to 100% shortly thereafter.) It's on the road, but leaking trans fluid and not a long-distance option.

The little Toyota truck that gets us to and from the dump is probably going with Frankie after he graduates (and it needs an O2 sensor replaced...)

The Hyundai has 110,000 on it, and we plan to keep it around for many, many more. When we replace it, the replacement needs to meet the following criteria:
  • Safe
  • Reliable
  • Economical
  • Comfortable
  • All Wheel Drive

And that's a list that starts to limit your options...

Without the AWD requirement, there are many decent options. But because of where we live, AWD isn't a convenience. We don't go to visit the snow once in a while. We have to get home in it on a seasonably predictable basis, and yes we can chain up and yes I do chain up but it's not a safe or enjoyable activity.

And, if Frankie does need the truck after graduation, there's that to consider. I haul more than trash (and Diane's shed components won't fit in my BMW's trunk...)

I know even in the short term I probably need to look at a decent used Civic or Corolla, just so we have a second distance-worthy option. And I will.

But all the photos in this post are pictures of cars I've posted before; cars I've lusted after, wanted to buy, or even planned to buy sometime in the last two or three years.

It's a pretty good photo array, I think, and there's not a civic to be seen...












4 comments:

Sonnjea said...

You'll get one of them, for sure, when the time is just right. For sheer reliability, the best car we ever owned was our Corolla - although it was, admittedly, not a "fun" car.

My only argument with your photo array is the truck. I prefer this era.

Steve said...

Diane does, too. In fact, our biggest aesthetic difference when it comes to cars is she likes swoopy and I like angular.

Next Stop Oregon said...

Good luck fixing the current cars. And good luck finding the right car ... and enjoying the search / lust / yearning for all the other possible right cars!

Dave V said...

I wish you could buy them all. I do.