Monday, January 26, 2009

Timing is Everything When Parts Are Distant

Like the rest of California, we here in This Land enjoyed about 10 days of unseasonably warm weather a week or two back. Sunny days, highs in the upper 60s and low 70s - just perfect spring-like weather.

To take advantage of it, I decided to ride my motorcycle to Angels Camp one afternoon and was letting it warm up while I put on my boots and noticed a fuel leak. The rubber hose had cracked, and replacement was the only option.

I could have bought a short length of regular fuel line from the local Napa, but all the fuel hoses on the bike are wrapped in braided cloth and it wouldn't have matched. Could have - and maybe should have - done it anyway, then replaced it with the right hose when I got it. But I didn't. I looked into ordering, but didn't want to pay what I considered excessive shipping charges for a length of hose. Then last week, I had to be in Modesto and did buy the right fuel line at the BMW dealership there.

It was, of course, raining by then. Yesterday the rain turned to snow and this morning when we got up it was 22 degrees outside and the roads were icy. But my motorcycle doesn't leak!

2 comments:

Sonnjea said...

Well, it'll be ready to ride when the next heatwave hits!

Next Stop Oregon said...

Sorry you missed a day of riding, but very happy that safety (or aesthetic)got you to replace the hose with the correct type!