Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Doors, Boxes and Space Savings

Here are a couple of my New Year's weekend projects.


I put doors on the new storage cupboard I built a couple of weeks ago. (Warped doors, thanks to Home depot plywood, but doors just the same...) Not only do they make the corner look a little cleaner and neater, they do increase the storage capacity of the cupboard (as you'll see in photo two.) Yes, some slow afternoon I may paint a nice blue stripe or checkerboard on them...



The little gray box is even better. That corner has been pretty much wasted space ever since we moved in. I had the bench grinder mounted on an old plant stand in that corner, which made storing anything else there impossible. On New Year's Eve I built the box out of one sheet of 3/4 MDF. The wheels and paint I had.



What's cool about it is not only does it store all my oil and filters and motorcycle spares, I have both the bench grinder and drill press mounted to the top. When I need them, the box just rolls out .









7 comments:

Next Stop Oregon said...

Very nice organizing projects! It is always nice to get things in a place and tucked out of the way!

You did New Year's projects, Mr. Fix-It did New Year's projects. Dave and I just weren't productive! Maybe 2009 is the year of the sloth for us. Doubtful, but one can always hope!

Steve said...

Yeah, we'll believe that when we see it. I think you were just out taking goose-poop pictures.

Sonnjea said...

Or daydreaming about dogs...

Very cool projects. MFI made a roll-out box some time ago, with the planer mounted on top. it's very convenient to be able to tuck it away and then poof! pull it out when you need it!

Does yours poof?

Dave V said...

Great job, great projects.

I'd like to see video of the poofing, please.

Steve said...

Mine does not "poof!" I'm afraid. It just rolls. The cool thing about doing it yourself (in addition to the poofing, if you spring for the special magical castors) is that you get to make it exactly the size you need. This fits between the bench and the garage door sensor just so, and is 37 inches tall so I can use it as an outfeed table for my table saw if I ever need to. (The grinder and drill are easily removed, of course.)

Sonnjea said...

Of course.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted an outfeed table.