Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Romas and Radiators

New developments in This Land: The first harvested veggies. I know it's nothing compared to the bounty of the Kitchen or Eugene, but we have a shorter season up here and don't get as many hours of direct sun.

We have two other types of tomatoes growing as well - all in pots - but those haven't ripened yet.

In 2002 news, there's an upgraded cooling system. 02s are known for running hot, and a common upgrade is installing a bigger radiator. You can go the triple-core route for big bucks, or the Pick-N-Pull route with the rad from an early-80s 320i. That's what this is. It also has the electric fan from the same car.

To make it fit, you have to notch out the edge of the battery tray. So I have officially begun customizing this car - cutting out bits to make it better. The fan works but it's not on the circuit I want it on, so I'll fix that in the next day or so. I was pleased that other than miscounting the circuit, the wiring went perfect. It has a temp sensor and when the gauge got near the middle the fan kicked right on. It's installed in front of the radiator, behind the grill, and I was able to take off the factory fan, which runs off the water pump. It frees up a little engine power and removes a rotational load that shortens the life of the water pump.

1 comment:

Sonnjea said...

I understand the vegetables. The rest was gobbledygook about fans and circuits... but I gathered you did something to make the car better!

Yea on both counts!

(really gorgeous tomatoes, AD!)