Friday, June 20, 2008

Hasn't Changed Yet....

Not a lot to report. Gus still likes water and is learning to tolerate the car well, since it leads him to the water. He'll swim after a ball for a while, then get tired and just sit chest deep in the lake. It's funny.

I spent a day and a half this week running about 100 feet of new split rail fence between us and the nearest neighbor. In the near future, that open split rail will be joined by four- or five-foot woven wire encircling our big damn yard. Not cheap or easy, but when we're done we'll have a fenced back yard to contain the dogs (even if I have to cross a creek twice with the wire fence.) The coolest section of the rail fence jumps straight across a large rock in a relatively ingenious manner (if I do say so myself...)

Oh, one-man augers are evil machines, especially when used on hillsides.

My automotive plan hasn't changed since last week, which is both nice and unusual. I got a few restoration books from Amazon today, and am looking forward to this project. There's a 1976 2002 in Stockton for sale for $1,000, but it's not in the budget this month. (The '73s and '74s are better anyway...)

The book editing goes well, and I'll have the second draft sent back next week. Em dashes and ellipses will be my downfall, I'm afriad.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even know what em dashes are!

The fence projects sounds like a lot of work, but will be great when it is done.

Sonnjea said...

I like a good em dash -- especially when combined with a nice ellipsis...

Steve said...

Yeah, but wait until they tell you that the em dashes run letter to letter with no spaces either side and that you can't let word autoformat the ellipses but have to makes sure there are spaces between each period.

Global search-and-replace works wonders, but there are still dozens I'm catching by hand.

Sonnjea said...

I knew that about the ellipses, but not about the dashes. Interesting.

I have to go. I'm sweating on my keyboard.

Steve said...

Too bad you don't have a portable air conditioner. Check Craigslist!

Sonnjea said...

The portable A/C isn't useful here since we have no insulation. We drove around doing errands in the worst part of the day, burning nearly 5-buck-a-gallon gas to keep cool. But they were errands we had to do anyway, so I don't feel guilty.