Monday, April 30, 2007

Torii Gate

Here's a few pictures of a Torii Gate I built to define and highlight the creek bed from the street. As you remember, the original vista looked like this:












That's not really that attractive. So I cleared the woody shooty things (which are some sort of impossible to kill willow our neighbor tells us...) and we had this:





An improvement to be sure. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a few more split fence posts (which they now sell at Lowes...) and put in a short length of fence across the front of the creek here, three posts, two sets of rails.

It was OK, but not great. It cut off the view more than I wanted, and because of the steepness of the slope I either had to put it up at street level and six feet past our property line, or weirdly low and near our property line.

Then in the end I ended up putting it right where a drain pipe that runs under our driveway empties, which is not the most brilliant thing I've ever done.



So I took the fence down, designed the gate, built a quick mock up to hold up in the space and discovered it was WAY too big. So I scaled it down and built this:

Scaled down was very nice, too, because I cut the lumber costs way down. Total cost with lumber, hardware, concrete and stain (which I'll apply once the wood dries out some) was $125. Not too bad.

Diane is planting hand-me-down vinca a neighbor took out, and even out there right now even though it's full dark!

3 comments:

Next Stop Oregon said...

Great work on clearing out the shooty thingies and very cool gate. By the way, I'm not a bean.

Anonymous said...

That looks pretty, Steve. I know, I can see it in person, and all. But the picture tells me I need to move some of the vinca. Nice gate. You do good work.

And what's this about next stop oregon not being a bean? I have evidence to the contrary.

Sonnjea said...

I was wondering if "woody shooty things" was the latin, botanical name.

It looks great, or it will once AD moves some of that darn vinca. Just kidding. It's very nice. And so much better than fence posts IN your drainage.

I agree with NSO. Neither of them is in any way bean-ish.